This guide supports the research project of the Business 100 course. It highlights sources to consult when preparing a business plan for Molloy's Pharmacy.
NAICS, which stands for "North American Industry Classification System" is used to classify statistical and financial information collected by governments and businesses in the US, Canada and Mexico. These 6 digits codes allow for fairly specific industry categorization and are used by a number of databases.
Search the 2012 NAICS by keyword (ie. pharmacies) to find the six digit NAICS code for your project.
Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage
1) Select the tab for "Industries"
2) Locate the "Supermarkets & Drugstores" report.
3) Pay special attention to the section "How to Analyze a Company".
First Research Industry Profiles
Search on "drug stores" for quarterly industry reports.
1) Conduct an "Industry Search" using the relevant NAICS code or a keyword description.
2) Review industry report on main results page.
3) Select the "Associations" link and look at the websites of relevant organizations
4) You may find useful information under the "Rankings" and "Market Share Report" links as well.
Business Source Premier
1) Select "Advanced Search"
2) Dropdown the field menu and select "IC NAICS code or description"
3) Type in the relevant NAICS code.
4) From the results display screen, explore the limiters on the left. The "Source Types" limiter includes "Trade Publications" , "Industry Profiles" (though be aware, these can be dated) , and "SWOT Analyses".